Back to

    The Chicago Fire ended the Charleston Battery's remarkable run in the 2004 US Open Cup, while continuing  to save their own lackluster season, with a 1-0 extra time victory. A severe thunderstorm delayed the second half kickoff for nearly two hours. With the weather and the strong defense of both teams, there was little in the way of offensive chances during regular time. It was during the second half of extra time that Chicago stuck. Orlando Perez and Dipsy Selolwane once again teamed up to score the game winning goal. The two had combined to score the goal that eliminated Richmond in the previous round, and this time, Selolwane again converted off a cross from Perez to send the Fire to their second Lamar Hunt US Open Cup final in as many years.

August 25, 2004

Benedetti-Wehrli Stadium - Naperville, Illinois

Chicago Fire  1-0  Charleston Battery

CHI : 107'  Dipsy Selolwane


Match Reports - Chicago Fire, Charleston Battery


Chicago Fire

Henry Ring (GK), Evan Whitfield (Craig Capano 107'), C.J. Brown, Jim Curtin, Orlando Perez, Andy Williams, Kelly Gray, Logan Pause, Justin Mapp, Damani Ralph, Nate Jaqua (Dipsy Selolwane 79')

Cautions: None   Ejections: None

Shots 19, Saves 6, Fouls 11, Corners 4, Offside 4


Charleston Battery

Dusty Hudock (GK) (Chris Doyle 78' (GK)), Steve Klein, Mark Watson, Rick Titus, Jason Kutney, Justin Evans, Kevin Jackson, Gabe Valencia, Ted Chronopoulos (Chris Goos 86'), Greg Simmonds (Paul Conway 90'), Jesus Martinez

Cautions: None  Ejections: None

Shots 11, Saves 9, Fouls 17, Corners 4, Offside 11


Referee - Michael Kennedy
Asst. Referees - Robert Fereday; Greg Barkey
4th Official - Abiodun Okulaja
Attendance - 1,847


    At the start of the match, one thing was certain, the winner would make their first ever Lamar Hunt US Open Cup final appearance, and that team turned out to be Kansas City. The Earthquakes suffered a setback early on, when US international forward Brian Ching was forced to leave the game with a sprained left ankle. As both teams kept a fast pace action, it was the Wizards that found the net for the only goal of the game. Just before halftime, Josh Wolff was brought down in the box, and Igor Simutenkov converted the penalty to give KC a 1-0 lead going into halftime. San Jose turned up the heat in an effort to find an equalizer, but Kansas City's defense held on to secure their clubs first finals appearance in the competition that bears their owners name.

August 24, 2004

Blue Valley Athletic Complex - Overland Park, Kansas

Kansas City Wizards  1-0  San Jose Earthquakes

KC : 45'p Igor Simutenkov


Match Reports - Kansas City Wizards, US Soccer


Kansas City Wizards

Bo Oshoniyi (GK), Taylor Graham, Jimmy Conrad, Nick Garcia, Jose Burciaga Jr., Igor Simutenkov (Preki 46') (Justin Detter 80'), Diego Gutierrez, Kerry Zavagnin, Alex Zotinca, Josh Wolff (Jack Jewsbury 74'), Davy Arnaud.

Cautions: 62' Jimmy Conrad  Ejections: None

Shots 14, Saves 2, Fouls 13, Corners 2, Offside 5


San Jose Earthquakes

Jon Conway (GK), Craig Waibel, Jeff Agoos, Ryan Cochrane (Eddie Robinson 76'), Todd Dunivant, Brian Mullan, Ronnie Ekelund (Tighe Dombrowski 56'), Richard Mulrooney, Dwayne De Rosario, Landon Donovan, Brian Ching (Arturo Alvarez 7) (Chris Brown 71).

Cautions: 85' Brian Mullan  Ejections: None

Shots 6, Saves 4, Fouls 12, Corners 6, Offside 2


Referee - Kevin Terry
Asst. Referees - Craig Lowry; Jose Andrade
4th Official - Terry Vaughn
Attendance - 2,162