Make your own free website on

Back to

   The Richmond Kickers were the first of many upper division clubs to escape an upset in the third round of the Open Cup, slipping by the defending PDL champion Cape Cod Crusaders 1-0 in extra time. Both teams had excellent chances during the game, and two goals by Richmond were even disallowed, one for a foul, another an offside call. The Crusaders had two great chances to win the game in the 75th minute. A one-on-one shot from David Bulow went wide to the right, and moments later Kickers goalkeeper Ronnie Pascale deflected a shot from Drew McAthy with his foot. Just 4 minutes into extra time though, the Kickers David Hayes ended the scare for Richmond, with a free kick from 31 yards out. Crusaders 'keeper David Mahoney got a piece of the ball, but could not stop the winning goal from going in. Richmond will host DC United in the fourth round on July 20th.

Reports - Richmond Times-Dispatch   Game Photos (Pattie Anderson)    Cape Cod Times

June 30, 2004
Sports Backers Stadium - Richmond, Virginia
Cape Cod Crusaders    0(asdet)Richmond Kickers        1

                              David Hayes            94'


Cape Cod Crusaders            Richmond Kickers

David Mahony (GK)             Ronnie Pascale (GK)

Zach Tobin                    Tony Williams

 -Carl Smith 67'              Kevin Knight

Scott Paguta                  Peter Luzak

Brendan Burke                 Chris Fox

Thunlani Ncube                Mike Burke        

Shawn Kuykendall               -Richie Williams 75'

Aaron Bonser                  Clyde Simms

 -Keith Caldwell 16'          Paul Lekics

Kurt Morsink                  David Hayes

Drew McAthy                   Matt Delicate

David Bulow                   McColm Cephas

 -Neil Jones 82'               -Kevin Knight 75'

Dayton O'Brien            


Drew McAthy           32'     Chris Fox              32'
Scott Paguta          65'


Stats Summary     CCC  RIC
Shots             11   19
Saves              9    7
Corners            4    7
Fouls             12   11
Offside            1    1

Referee-Andrew Chapin
AR1-Steven Taylor   AR2-Bill Ditthak
4th Official-Ben Hichak

Att - 1,353

   The struggling Charleston Battery see the US Open Cup as the perfect chance to salvage something positive during their dismal 2004 campaign, and they started off with a  convincing 2-0 victory over the defending PSL champions Wilmington Hammerheads. Charleston wasted no time setting the pace of the match, as Paul Conway scored two minutes after the opening whistle, off of a Chris Goos free kick from 26 yards out. Conway scored the goal after Hammerheads 'keeper Billy Platz stopped the initial shot, putting the rebound past Platz. The Battery finished off the scoring for the game at the end of the first half. Greg Simmonds crossed the ball to Conway, who connected with a sliding shot that deflected off Wilmington defender Mark Hubbard and into the goal. Wilmington never really got into the game, only managing 5 shots to Chartleston's 21. The Battery go on to host the MetroStars at Blackbaud stadium on July 20.

Reports - Wilmington Star News    Charleston Post & Courier


June 30, 2004
Blackbaud Stadium - Charleston, South Carolina

Wilmington Hammerheads   0   Charleston Battery     2

                             Paul Conway            2'

                             Paul Conway           44'



Wilmington Hammerheads       Charleston Battery

Billy Platz (GK)             Dusty Hudock (GK)

Kevin Nylan                  Jason Kutney

Tim Karalexis                Mark Watson

Mark Hubbard                 Nigel Henry

 -Junior Zarate 45'          Nick Downing

Brady Bryant                 Kevin Jackson

Kenny Bundy                   -Josh Smith 78'

Dan Capecci                  Steve Klein

 -Neil McNab 60'             Justin Evans  

George Corrie                Chris Goos

Chris Delaney                 -Henrik Jensen 67'

Ryan Miller                  Paul Conway

 -Glenn Murray 58'            -Jesus Martinez 88'

Warren Ukah                  Greg Simmonds

 -Mark Draycott 62'           -Gabe Valencia 71'

None                          None

Stats Summary     WIL  CHA
Shots              5   21
Saves              6    4
Corners            1    7
Fouls             14   16
Offside            5    3 


Referee-Chris Kenny
AR1-Jeff Muschik   AR2-Chris Sculthorpe
4th Official-Bob Wern

Att - 1,255

   In perhaps the most thrilling match of the third round, The Atlanta Silverbacks nipped the Carolina Dynamo in the final minute of extra time, 3-2. Carolina jumped to an early lead, with a goal in the 12th minute from Marcus Storey. Atlanta caught up to the Dynamo five minutes into the second half, as Alex Pineda-Chacon scored, and John Ball gave the 'Backs the lead fifteen minutes later. With stoppage time dwindling away, Steve Rhyne blasted a shot from about 30 yards out that found the upper corner of the goal to dramatically send the match into extra time. The extra sessions saw plenty of action as well, with both teams seeing players sent off. Atlanta's Adilson DeLima was ejected in the 109th minute after receiving his second yellow card of the match, and Ryan Caugherty was sent to the locker room in the final minute of extra time. As stoppage time was winding down yet again, it was Atlanta's turn to provide the dramatics, as Phillippe Godoy broke though and netted the game winning goal for the Silverbacks.

Reports -

June 30, 2004
Macpherson Stadium - Browns Summit, North Carolina

Atlanta Silverbacks    3(asdet)  Carolina Dynamo   2

Alex Pineda-Chacon    50'        Marcus Storey    12'
John Ball             75'        Steve Rhyne      90'+
Philippe Godoy       120'+



Atlanta Silverbacks              Caqrolina Dynamo

Anthony Tokpah (GK)              Brian Edwards (GK)

Fred Degand                      Reggie Koranteng

Andrew Lewis                     Tim Merritt

 -Joshua Barton 116'             Ray Fumo

Attila Bendegh                    -Stephen Rhyne 84'

Adilson DeLima                   James Riley

Joseph AffulAmir Lowery          Jamal Shteiwi

 -Velko Iotov 77'                 -Ryan Caugherty 68

John Ball                        Justin Moose

Leslie Fitzpatrick               Marcus Storey

Alex Pineda-Chacon               Scott Jones

Gary Brooks                       -Josh Villalobos, 72'

 -Jordy Broder 46'               Michael Farrell

Mac Cozier                        -Joseph Lazorchick 90


Jebidiah Zayner       68'     Robby Vanrykel         24'
Adilson DeLima        55'     Reggie Koranteng       45'
Jordy Broder          66'
     Michael Farrell        71'
Adilson DeLima       109'
     Marcus Storey         120'
Adilson DeLima       109'     Ryan Caugherty        120'

Stats Summary     ATL  CAR
Shots             12   20
Saves             12    8
Corners            6    4
Fouls             19   11
Offside            0    5 

Referee-Abbas Piran
AR1-Kai Goodrich   AR2-Kim Oberle
4th Official-Daniel Burak

Att - n/a

   The Rochester Raging Rhinos managed to do something no team has accomplished thus far in 2004, they defeated the Chicago Fire Reserves. Rochester captain Craig Demmin connected off of a free kick from Carlos Mendes in the 82nd minute, just when it seems the Reserves would hold them and force extra time. Chicago controlled the flow of play for much of the first half, and both goalkeepers were forced to make spectacular saves to keep the game scoreless.  Rochester took control in the second half, as Chris Carrieri hit the crossbar in the 55th minute, and Reserves defender broke up an attempt by Bill Sedgewick and Yari Allnutt to team up for a goal. The Rhinos will now travel to Ludlow, Mass. for a rematch of last years 4th round opponents, the New England Revolution.

Reports - Rochester Democrat & Chronichle

June 30, 2004
Frontier Field - Rochester, New York

Chicago Fire Reserves 0      Rochester Raging Rhinos  1

                             Craig Demmin            82'



Chicago Fire Reserves        Rochester Raging Rhinos

Brad Guzan (GK)              Theo Zagar (GK)

Dasan Robinson               Craig Demmin

Cameron Knowles              Carlos Mendes

Jedidiah Zayner              Dave Wright

Drew Moor                    Carlos Semedo

Nicholas Pollard             Shaun Tsakiris

Brandon Moss                  -Roland Aguilera 79'

 -Nowaf Jaman 83'            Bill Sedgewick

Luke Kreamalmeyer            Kirk Wilson

Thabiso Khumalo              Lenin Steenkamp

Christopher Rolfe             -Yari Allnutt 65'

Julian Nash                  Corey Woolfolk

                              -Doug Miller 71'

                             Chris Carrieri


None                          Carlos Mendas          40'
                              Shaun Tsakiris         48'
                              Craig Demmin           65'


Stats Summary     CHI  ROC
Shots              4    8
Saves              3    1
Corners            6    2
Fouls             17   23
Offside            1    3 


Referee-Ken Heller
AR1-Vladamir Fabre   AR2-Islam Sallaj
4th Official-Kevin Barci

Att - 7,654

   In 2003, the Dallas Burn were shocked 4-1 by 3rd division club Wilmington Hammerheads in their 3rd round US Open Cup match. The Burn had a much better Open Cup experience this season, defeating the A-League Virginia Beach Mariners 2-0. Dallas struck with a pair of goals midway through the first half, the first coming when Toni Nhleko tapped in a cross from Ramon Nunez in front of the goalmouth. The second came when Ronnie O'Brien beat an offside trap, and took another Nunez pass to the top of the box , slotting the ball into the lower left corner of the goal. Former Dallas Burn Dante Washington nearly cut the lead in half at the 64th minute, when he headed a cross from Jeff Bilyk from inside the 6-yard box, but Burn 'keeper Jeff Cessar just got his hand on the ball and tipped it away. Dallas were reduced to ten men when Milton Reyes was sent off at the 74th minute for his second caution of the match, but the man-down Burn were able to hold off the Mariners for the final 16 mi minutes to secure advancement to the fourth round.

Reports - 3rd Degree  Dallas Burn

Big Soccer

June 30, 2004
Old Panther Stadium - Duncanville, Texas
Virginia Beach Mariners 0     Dallas Burn             2
Toni Nhleko            20'
                              Ronnie O'Brien         23'



Virginia Beach Mariners       Dallas Burn

Matt Nelson (GK)              Jeff Cassar (GK)

Michael Kirmse                Matt Behncke

Russell Hutchinson            Cory Gibbs

 -Joseph Morelli 45'          Clarence Goodson

Kevin Knott                   Milton Reyes

Stephen Danbusky              Ronnie O'Brien

Hamisi Amani-Dove              -Brad Davis 64'

Jose Gomez                    Eric Quill

 -Daniel Alvarez 56'          Jordan Stone

Mark Jonas                    Simo Valakari

 -Nathaniel Winkel 79'         -Carey Talley 68'

Jeff Bilyk                    Toni Nhleko

Carlos Garcia-Dominguez        -Jason Thompson 71'

Dante Washington              Ramon Nunez

                               -Steve Jolley 84'



Ryan Rhodes          44'      Alejandro Gutierrez    22'

Stephen Danbusky     26'      Simo Valakari          51'
JEff Bilyk           61'
      Milton Reyes           54'

                              Milton Reyes           74'
                              Milton Reyes           74'
                              Jason Thompson         79'


Stats Summary     VBM DAL
Shots             12   9
Saves              3   2
Corners            4   3
Fouls             14  20
Offside            0   7 


Referee-Kevin Terry
AR1-Adam Garner  AR2-Troy Travis
4th Official-Kyle Borne

  The Columbus Crew needed a last minute penalty to avoid the threat of extra time, and advance to the fourth round of the US Open Cup over the A-League Syracuse Salty Dogs. Syracuse's strategy was to defend heavily and catch a counter-attack opportunity, and that worked for a majority of the game. However, by the 70th minute, the Crew eventually broke though, when an unmarked Edson Buddle scored off a pass from Erick Scott. The lead only lasted 11 minutes for Columbus though, as former Rochester Rhino Scott Schwietzer put in a rebound from a shot Crew goalkeeper Jon Busch blocked to draw the game even at 1-1. Just as extra time was imminent, Columbus was awarded a disputed penalty, when Rene Rivas fouled Kyle Martino in the box. Some say Martino took a dive to draw the penalty. Ross Paule stepped up and won the game for Columbus, putting the ball just past a diving Paul Nagy.


Reports -  Columbus Dispatch

Big Soccer  Capital Soccer News

June 30, 2004

Columbus Crew Stadium - Columbus, Ohio

Syracuse Salty Dogs   1       Columbus Crew           2
Scott Schweitzer     81'      Edson Buddle           70'
                              Ross Paule             90'+p



Syracuse Salty Dogs           Columbus Crew

Paul Nagy (GK)                Jon Busch (GK)

Timothy O'Neil                Robin Fraser

 -Ryan Mack 74'               Eric Denton

Kupono Low                    Duncan Oughton

Jason Perry                   Erick Scott

Lars Lyssand                   -Michael Ritch 80'

David Lara                    Brian Maisonneuve

 -Anthony Maher 78'           Edson Buddle

Ryan Hall                     Chad Marshall

-Scott Schweitzer 54'         Ross Paule

 Frankie Sanfilippo           Chris Wingert

Ian Woan                       -Devin Barclay 61'

 -Christopher Dore 71'        Manny Lagos

Machel Millwood                -Kyle Martino 46'

Rene Rivas


Rene Rivas             4'     None
David Lara            20'

Stats Summary     SYR CLB
Shots              4  17
Saves              4   0
Corners            2   5
Fouls             13  18
Offside            3   1 



  The Boulder Rapids Reserve nearly became the giant-killer of the Open Cup, pushing A-League Minnesota Thunder to the 116th minute before succumbing to the Thunder's winning goal. David Castellanos opened the scoring for MInnesota, striking in the 19th minute, off an assist from Jeff Matteo. The Rapids Reserve drew the match even just before halftime. Boulder held firm from Minnesota's repeated attacks, and forced the game into extra time. Just as it seemed the match was headed for penalties, Frederico Juarez took a pass Kilickan, and ended the drama with 4 minutes left in extra time.

Reports -   Star Tribune  Pioneer Press

Boulder Daily Camera  Blue Sky

Game Photos Competitive Image)

June 30, 2004
James Griffin Stadium - St. Paul, Minnesota

Boulder Rapids Reserve 1(asdet)Minnesota Thunder      2

John Pulido  42'       David Castellanos  19'
                       Frederico Juarez  116'



Boulder Rapids Reserves        Minnesota Thunder

Luis Robles (GK)               Joe Warren (GK)

Scott Kincaid                  Dustin Branan

Brett Branan                   Chris Brunt

Aaron Pitchkolan                -Brian Roberts 105'

Miguel Guante                  Mike Wilson

Liam Girard                    Chris Vorenkamp

 -Alex Salazar 94'              -Freddy Juarez 45'

Lance Snodgrass                Jeff Matteo

 -Lee Zarzecki 88'               -Brent Jacquette 90'

Josh Simpson                   Kevin Friedland

John Pulido                     -Zafer Kilickan 65'

Colin Clark                    Jay Alberts

 -Thomas Flynn 96'             Marco Ferruzzi

Kyle Brown                     David Castellanos

 -Peter Lowry 103'             Melvin Tarley



Jebidiah Zayner       68'     Robby Vanrykel         24'

John Pulido           40'     David Castellanos      17'
Lee Zarecki          112'
     Marco Ferruzzi         59'
                              Freddy Juarez          99'


Stats Summary     BOU MIN
Shots             11  21
Saves              5   3
Corners            1   4
Fouls             13  18
Offside            1   4 


Referee-Troy Cohrs
AR1-Bob Peterson  AR2-Sla Rahimi
4th Official: Fotis Bazakos

Att - 1,259

  The Portland Timbers found success in their first ever US Open Cup match, winning 2-1 over the PSL Utah Blitzz. The Blitzz nearly drew first blood early in the match, when former Timber Fadi Afash dribbled around Portland goalkeeper Josh Saunders, only to be denied by New Zealander Gavin Wilkinson. Afash came back minutes later and forced a punch save from Saudners. The Timbers eventually opened the scoring on a goal from Byron Alvarez, from a Alex Bengard pass. Bengard scored a goal of his own eight minutes later, rocketing a free kick past Blitzz goalkeeper Chad Sackett from 30 yards out. In the second half, Afash finally did haunt his former club, knocking the ball just over Saunders head after falling to the ground with Wilkinson. Jason Boyce nearly drew Utah even in the 79th minute, sending a shot off the cross bar. Portland will face the San Jose Earthquakes in the fourth round.


Reports - Portland Tribune   Salt Lake Tribune  

KION (Salt Lake City)

June 30, 2004
Rice-Eccles Stadium - Salt Lake City, Utah
Portland Timbers      2       Utah Blitzz             1

Byron Alvarez        33'      Fadi Afash             65'
Alex Bengard         41'



Portland Timbers              Utah Blitzz

Josh Saunders (GK)            Chad Sackett (GK)

Brian Winters                 Trevor Persson

Gavin Wilkinson               Tommy Rutter

Lee Morrison                  Jacobi Goodfellow

Aaron Heinzen                 William Cummins

Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar          Jorge Estrada

Scoot Benedetti                -Chris Roselli 60'

Alex Bengard                  Matt Evans

Jake Sagare                   Damian Munoz

Alan Gordon                    -Fadi Afash 26'

 -Dan Antoniuk 69'            Richard Breza

Byron Alvarez-Noriega         Miguel Medina

 -Andrew Gregor 83'            -Jason Boyce 45'

                              Alejandro Gutierrez

                               -B.J. McNicol 74


None                          Chad Sackett           48'
                              William Cummins        59'
                              Jacobi Goodfellow      90'


Stats Summary     POR UTB
Shots             16  16

Saves              6   6
Corners            1   2
Fouls             12  18
Offside            0   3 


Referee-Craig Burns
AR1-Randy Pluegger
AR2-Shawn Halladay
4th Official-Josh Nye